PSE 7 and 64 bit OS
Ian D
2009-10-09 17:45:00 UTC
I am presently using PSE 6 on a system with 6GB of RAM.

When I run PSE 6 in XP Pro, it has less than 2GB of workspace,
which is expected. When I run XP Pro with the /3GB switch
enabled, PSE 6 has about 2.4GB of workspace available,
which is in the expected range. All is okay with XP Pro.

When I run PSE 6 in 64 bit Vista Ultimate it has less than
2GB of workspace available, and it should have close
to 3GB available. This means that PSE 6 is not recognizing
the full 3GB avaiable to it, as it should for an application
that is large address aware. Any 32 bit application
that can use more than 2GB in a 32 bit OS with /3GB set,
should also be able to use more than 2GB in a 64 bit OS.

If anybody is running PSE 7 in 64 bit Vista or Win 7, I was
wondering if you could check in Edit > Preferences > Performance
to see if the memory available to PSE 7 is greater than 2GB.
Jeffrey Kaplan
2009-10-10 17:15:58 UTC
Post by Ian D
When I run PSE 6 in XP Pro, it has less than 2GB of workspace,
which is expected. When I run XP Pro with the /3GB switch
enabled, PSE 6 has about 2.4GB of workspace available,
which is in the expected range. All is okay with XP Pro.
When I run PSE 6 in 64 bit Vista Ultimate it has less than
2GB of workspace available, and it should have close
to 3GB available. This means that PSE 6 is not recognizing
the full 3GB avaiable to it, as it should for an application
that is large address aware. Any 32 bit application
that can use more than 2GB in a 32 bit OS with /3GB set,
should also be able to use more than 2GB in a 64 bit OS.
If anybody is running PSE 7 in 64 bit Vista or Win 7, I was
wondering if you could check in Edit > Preferences > Performance
to see if the memory available to PSE 7 is greater than 2GB.
PSE, all versions that I know of, are 32bit and thus the application
cannot possibly make use of more than somewhere between 3.5 and 4 gigs
of RAM, including the RAM space the program itself occupies.

I have PSE7 installed in Vista Ultimate x64 with 8GB of physical RAM
installed. I am unable to set it to use more than 2G of available RAM.
But then, I did not know there was a switch to make it go higher. Is
that '/3GB' switch in the commandline for PSE? Or what?
--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"The East gate is malfunctioning! It won't close!" "Unleash the baby
ducks." - Two guards, Sluggy Freelance
Ian D
2009-10-10 18:35:07 UTC
Post by Jeffrey Kaplan
Post by Ian D
[...]
The /3gb switch only works with 32 bit XP, and only applications
that are "large address aware" recognize that switch and use more
than 2GB. The switch goes in XP's boot.ini file, and a different
setting is used in 32 bit Vista's bootmgr file. PSE 6 can recognize
those settings and use up to 3GB. I assume it would be the
same for PSE 7 & 8.

Vista x64 doesn't need that switch and PSE 6 should be able to
use up to 3GB in 64 bit Vista by default. PSE 6 doesn't, and you
just confirmed that PSE 7 also doesn't, so the problem is with
PSE. Maybe Adobe wants people to use CS4 if they need a
larger workspace in a 64 bit OS.