Colour section of b&w picture - How?
Third Time Lucky
2010-03-14 23:41:38 UTC
Hi all
I want to keep an item in a picture in colour and make everything else in
the picture black and white can anyone advise me please?
I have Photoshop Elements 6.

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
rwalker
2010-03-15 00:30:25 UTC
On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 23:41:38 -0000, "Third Time Lucky"
Post by Third Time Lucky
Hi all
I want to keep an item in a picture in colour and make everything else in
the picture black and white can anyone advise me please?
I have Photoshop Elements 6.
I have Photoshop Elements 4. If 6 works the same way, then select
what you want to keep in color, then go to the "select" menu, choose
"inverse" on the drop down menu there. This will select everything
except what you want to keep in color. Then go to "enhance," select
"adjust color," and then "remove color."
M-M
2010-03-15 17:42:11 UTC
Post by Third Time Lucky
Hi all
I want to keep an item in a picture in colour and make everything else in
the picture black and white can anyone advise me please?
I have Photoshop Elements 6.
I have Photoshop Elements 4. If 6 works the same way, then select
what you want to keep in color, then go to the "select" menu, choose
"inverse" on the drop down menu there. This will select everything
except what you want to keep in color. Then go to "enhance," select
"adjust color," and then "remove color."
You can also make a duplicate layer and turn the saturation all the way
down, then use the eraser tool to reveal the color underneath.
--
m-m
http://www.mhmyers.com
Leo Lichtman
2010-03-15 19:46:22 UTC
"M-M" wrote: You can also make a duplicate layer and turn the saturation
all the way
Post by M-M
down, then use the eraser tool to reveal the color underneath.
Both methods will work. If the article that's to stay in color has clearly
defined edges all around, I would recommend the selection sequence suggested
by rwalker. On the other hand, if there are places that are difficult to
select, such as fluffy hair, with background showing through, the eraser
tool may be preferable. Set the eraser to a low percentage (say 15--20%)
and blend the interface carefully.

It is possible to turn the saturation down on individual colors, which may
be useful if the object and the background are hard to separate otherwise.
Third Time Lucky